xdvipdfmx-20200116 : additional q/Q bracket around BT...ET

Hironobu Yamashita h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 13:08:50 CET 2020

Hi Shunsaku - may I commit adding "0 Tr" after any occurrence
of fake-bold, as shown in my patch sent on 2020-02-29 ?

Here are my thoughts:

* If I understand your comments below correctly,
  the fake-bold feature is no longer important.

SH> The fake-bold feature was added about 15-years back when there is
SH> virtually no (freely) available Japanese font with multiple weight.
SH> I don't know if there still is any need for this nowadays.

* When your statement below is taken into account, the commit
  on 2019-06-30 (enclosing every occurence of BT..ET with q..Q)
  has much more influence on the internal behavior.
  (This is why I reverted the change in r53973.)

SH> Whenever internal behavior of dvipdfmx is changed
SH> the reslts can be quite different.

* On the other hand, I'd like to avoid unwanted fake-bold.
  To achieve this, it is enough to add "0 Tr" only after fake-bold
  ends, and is considered the smallest change needed to the
  internal behavior.

I think we need to warn everyone not to use fake-bold toghther
with the text clipping, but that would be safe enough as it makes
no difference between TeX Live 2019 and TeX Live 2020.

Hironobu