rendering brackets

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 16:02:36 CET 2020

po 2. 3. 2020 v 15:35 odesílatel David Carlisle <d.p.carlisle at gmail.com> napsal:

> Basically 1 and a have the same depth so the depth of the denominators are the same, but 1 has more height than a and that affects the height of the numerator and so of the overall fraction.
>
> \documentclass{article}
>
> \begin{document}
>
> \sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{1}{a}$}
> \typeout{1/a: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}
>
> \sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{a}{1}$}
> \typeout{a/1: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}
>

> \end{document}
>

> produces
>
> 1/a: 13.20952pt+6.85951pt
> a/1: 11.07062pt+6.85951pt
>

> so the first form is over 2pt taller and so gets a larger bracket if you auto-size the brackets with \left\right.

There is another possibility with \left and \right, it is just
necessary to insert \vphantom to make both fractions equally high.
This is my modified file:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{1}{a}$}
\typeout{1/a: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}

\sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{a}{1}$}
\typeout{a/1: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}

\sbox0{$\displaystyle\frac{1a}{1a}$}
\typeout{a/1: \the\ht0+\the\dp0}

\newcommand\vph{\vphantom{\frac{1a}{1a}}}

$$\left(\vph\frac{1}{a}\right)^n+\left(\vph\frac{a}{1}\right)^n$$

$$\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)^n+\left(\frac{a}{1}\right)^n$$

\end{document}

Generally, if A and B are complex expressions, you should do
$$\left(A\vphantom{B}\right) + \left(\vphantom{A}B\right)$$

>> that is what the whole experiment is about. Have it your way... if that is what you prefer.
>

> It isn't a question of what I prefer, I am just stating what the font metrics specify.
>
> David

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz