endofproofwd not working in TeX Live 2020

Johannes Hielscher jhielscher at posteo.de
Tue Jun 23 23:03:19 CEST 2020

Am Tue, 23 Jun 2020 16:06:53 +0200
schrieb Ulrike Fischer <news3 at nililand.de>:

> Am Mon, 22 Jun 2020 21:36:51 -0600 schrieb Scott Pakin:
>
> > endofproofwd is rather broken in TeX Live 2020.  Here's a minimal
> > reproducer:
> >
> >     \documentclass{article}
> >     \usepackage{endofproofwd}
> >     \begin{document}
> >     The end. \wasserdicht
> >     \end{document}
> >
> > and here's the result:
> >
> >     ! LaTeX Error: File `comon/endofproofwd.pdf_tex' not found.
> >
> > endofproofwd.sty imports comon/endofproofwd.pdf_tex (yes, with a
> > hard-wired subdirectory), which does an \includegraphics of
> > endofproofwd.pdf.  TeX Live mistakenly installs endofproofwd.pdf in
> > the documentation directory (perhaps because CTAN mistakenly links
> > to that file as "Package documentation"?), which also implies that
> > pdftex, etc. won't be able to find it.
>
> Wow. A end-of-proof symbol inserted in a figure environment (so that
> it can float away?) and a picture environment with an additional
> pdf_tex which uses the import package to redirected the search path.
>
> That's an impressing amount of code around a simple
> \includegraphics.

This is exactly what Inkscape recommends for including its PDF export
with TeX annotations (see also the header comment in
endofproffwd.pdf_tex). I'm not sure if such a low-effort copy-paste
one-liner should reach the median quality of CTAN or TL. Just using
\squarenwsefill from the STIX fonts would have done the trick even
without hard-coding paths or PDF colours.

MiKTeX has had a bug report for that package:
https://github.com/MiKTeX/miktex-packaging/issues/176

and Karl imported the fix into TL with -r55063
http://tug.org/svn/texlive?view=revision&revision=55063

I still wonder if this was tested at all on our side. The fix made it a
little better, but still left the package in a broken state. Hard-coded
relative (!) path names to (mistyped!) subdirectories, and integral
parts of the package mistaken as documentation … red flags, IMHO.

This is not (only) a TL problem in the first place, it's a case for
CTAN. It has been broken since its inclusion into any TeX distribution.

Best,
Johannes