[EXT] Re: rendering brackets

Henri Menke henrimenke at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 06:54:55 CEST 2020

On 17/06/20, 16:29, Michael J. Baars wrote:
> Hi Philip,
>
> Well, you can do whatever you like with the .tex example, trow it away
> for all I care.
>
> I'm just trying to tell you, as a friend, that that
> "\left(\frac{1}{a}\right)" and "\left(\frac{a}{1}\right)" are rendered
> with brackets of different size, while the brackets of
> "\left(\frac{1}{2}\right" and "\left(\frac{2}{1}\right)" are rendered
> with brackets of the same size.

It has already been pointed out that this is due to the fact that the
number `1' is taller than the letter `a'.  Here is the relevant bit of
the make_fraction routine:

https://github.com/TeX-Live/texlive-source/blob/35f189ca2c2866a9ed817da1db5d0bd165a3ec61/texk/web2c/tex.web#L14624-L14627

The height of the resulting vlist is the height of the numerator plus
the shift to compensate for numerator's depth and the fraction bar.

Cheers, Henri