.tlpsrc files and package dependencies

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 16:42:44 CEST 2020

Hi all,

I have a question regarding dependences. I have looked at
zwpagelayout.tlpsrc at the mentioned URL and it is empty. I understand
that:

1. TeX Live / MiKTeX maintainers have no time to study the code and
search for dependencies
2. I do not know the infrastructure and different TeX distros can depend

I have dependences listed in the manual but maybe it can be done
better. I have two types of dependences:

Hard: the package will not work without them at all
Soft: the package will work but som non-mandatory features will be unavailable

Similarly, I do not verify whether included packages change. I can
only specify the packages which I load explicitly. For instance, I
have:

\RequirePackage{somepackage}

File somepackage.sty will contain \RequirePackage{otherpackage} but I
will not specify dependence on otherpackage for good reason. The
author of somepackage can decide that otherpackage is obsolete and it
is better to replace it with \RequirePackage{betterpackage}.

Will it help if I put the dependences to the README file?

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

po 1. 6. 2020 v 16:27 odesílatel Norbert Preining