How to package executables

Norbert Preining norbert at preining.info
Tue Jul 21 12:11:10 CEST 2020

Hi Henri,

> Just to clarify, I'm not at all against distributing Python packages
> with TeX Live.  I only wanted to bring these, in my opinion, valid
> concerns to your attention such that you can make an informed decision.

Thanks, appreciated. I am well aware of all the mess. Even on Linux it
**is** a mess with the explosion of middleware and language specific
package managers. But I don't see an alternative (I often rant about
this in Debian cycles, where the middleware is painfully incomplete and
out of date, so real development can simply not use it).

That said, I still prefer to have TeX related stuff in TeX Live than in
the programming language specific distribution. The reason is very
simple, users don't give a .... about which language was used for
implementation, they just want a tool that works. Whether it runs
Python, Perl, Lua, Java, FOobar in the background, is irrelevant (up to
the point that the interpreter/vm needs to be installed, of course).

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev