How to package executables

Henri Menke henrimenke at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 11:10:41 CEST 2020

On 21/07/20, 17:36, Norbert Preining wrote:
> Hi Henri,
>
> > There is a major difference between these and the proposed Python
> > pacakges, which is that these are already in TeX Live and it would be a
>
> Hmm, but those packages have entered TL at some point, without
> objections.
>
> > Also there is no standard cross-platform way comparable to pip install
> > Java and Perl programs.  I would think that users rather expect Python
> > software to be installable via pip than anything else.  It is of course
>
> I would rather not. I prefer users to use their distribution package
> manager, or at least TeX Live. pip is a source of trouble for those who
> don't know what it is for and how it is used and should be used.

That would ideal, but the two most popular operating systems, Windows
and macOS, both do not have a package manager, which is the reason why
all that trash with pip, rvm, npm, cargo, and so on exists in the first
place.  TeX Live with its tlmgr is not a good example either.  At least
there you can snapshot yearly releases, as you do in Debian.

Just to clarify, I'm not at all against distributing Python packages
with TeX Live.  I only wanted to bring these, in my opinion, valid
concerns to your attention such that you can make an informed decision.

Cheers,
Henri