How to package executables

Takuto ASAKURA tkt.asakura at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 07:26:16 CEST 2020

Hi Adam,

sorry for break into the discussion, but may I ask why you want to put
your Python script into TeX Live from the first place?
Why not a repository for the Python world such as PyPI?

For instance in PyPI, I could find a number of packages related to TeX/LaTeX:

	https://pypi.org/search/?q=tex+live

Of course some (perhaps most) of them require TeX Live (or other TeX distribution)
to utilize their features. I guess they don't handle installation of TeX
distributions themselves, but the users are responsible to install TeX.
As far as I know, this way is typical for TeX-related projects which are
not directly inside the TeX world (CTAN).

Since TeX Live do not include Python interpreter and also not require the
interpreter, there is no guarantee that an user of TeX Live have a Python
interpreter in their environment. Thus, TeX Live users who can use your
Python script are somewhat limited.

I imagine that, for the general Python users (and who also use TeX Live),
it might be just fine if your python package can be installed via pip, conda,
or whatever in the Python world. This way, I think you can be much
comfortable with the typical Python manner, without thinking about naming
issue and so on.

Best,
Takuto