How to package executables

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Mon Jul 20 02:25:01 CEST 2020

Hi Louis, hi Karl,

> So, I guess the direct answer to your question is, if you provide a
> "spix" executable in the CTAN upload, I will install it in TL. And my

I looked into the git repo of spix (not what is on CTAN), and it seems
quite simple to do what is requested, since there is already a bin/spix
that used dirname $0 ../

Thus, suggestion:
- put spix directory containing __init__.py and __main__.py into
	texmf-dist/scripts/spix/spix/
  (mind the double "spix")
- put the bin/spix into
	texmf-dist/scripts/spix/
  or
	texmf-dist/scripts/spix/bin/
- as usual, link
	bin/$ARCH/spix -> ../../texmf-dist/scripts/spix{/bin}/spix
- adjust the spix wrapper (bin/spix) to use realpath in addition
  to dirname to get the texmf-dist/scripts/spix directory
- adjust whether to use (dirname...)/.. or (dirname...)/ only depending
  on the script location (including the bin directory in CTAN or not)

So I think it is rather simple to install, in principle.

> Another minor point: it is simpler to deal with an unpacked distribution
> on CTAN, that is, instead of one spix-1.0.0.tar.gz file, upload the

100% agreed!

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev