xdvipdfmx-20200116 : additional q/Q bracket around BT...ET

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 11:55:14 CET 2020

Hi all,

so 29. 2. 2020 v 11:22 odesílatel Shunsaku Hirata
<shunsaku.hirata74 at gmail.com> napsal:

> Hi all,
>
> I understand the example shown doesn't work if graphics state save/resotre
> operation (q/Q operator) is inserted arount the text block.
>
> However, reverting the change I made before (adding q-Q-bracket around
> text) makes the fake-bold bug reappear.
>
> Thus, I considered alternatives for fixing the fake-bold bug, however and
> unfortunately, as this fake-bold feature relies on changing text rendering
> mode (fill-then-stroke with adjusted stroke line-width) via "Tr" operator,
> any fixes might be inherently incompatible with what Alexander wants to
> do.
> (The possible fix here is to forcibly add "Tr" operator whenever new text
> starts or font is changed)

I do not know how the fake bold is implemented but \special{pdf:code
SOMETHING } used to insert just SOMETHING while \special{pdf:put
SOMETHING} used to insert q SOMETHING Q

In the previous behaviour both possibilities were available, you just
have to choose between pdf:code and pdf:put. The coloured text with an
outline in another colour can then be achieved by

\special{pdf:code q 2 Tr 0.7 w 0 0.5 0.5 0.05 k 1 1 0 0.1 K} some text
\special{pdf:code Q}

If you have only pdf:put which adds the extra q-Q bracket, you have to use:

\special{pdf:put Q q 2 Tr 0.7 w 0 0.5 0.5 0.05 k 1 1 0 0.1 K q} some
text \special{pdf:put Q}

 This was given as a hint in an old version of dvipdfm where only
\special{pdf:put } was available.

> Just my personal opinion but as I don't like this fake-bold feature although
> it was added by myself, I rather want to make this feature obsolete...
>

> Thanks,
> Shunsaku Hirata

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz