xdvipdfmx-20200116 : additional q/Q bracket around BT...ET

Hironobu Yamashita h.y.acetaminophen at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 06:06:58 CET 2020

Hi,

AG > current xdvipdfmx, version 2020-01-16, adds a q-Q-bracket around text (BT
AG > ... ET) in the page stream.
AG > This prevents glyph outlines from being added to the clipping path in the
AG > graphics state.

ZW> I also vote for restoring the previous behaviour because th q-Q
ZW> bracket used to be added by \special{pdf:put ...}. There is a dirty
ZW> trick how to remove these q-Q but the previous behaviour will be
ZW> better.

In r53973, I reverted the commit done by S. Hirata on 2019-06-30.
It says

2019-06-30  Shunsaku Hirata  <shunsaku.hirata74 at gmail.com>

    * pdfdev.c: Fix a bug that fake-bold is not handled properly
    in some situations as reported in
    https://tug.org/pipermail/dvipdfmx/2019-June/000014.html.
    When text rendering mode is changed within a text block which
    is enclosed by q and Q, the change does not affect subsequent
    text blocks. Current implementation of text handling is not
    robust so we may need to reconsider it.

So the fake-bold issue will reappear.

Hironobu