babel-french legacy compatibility broken

David Carlisle d.p.carlisle at gmail.com
Sat Feb 22 11:23:41 CET 2020

The texlive maintainers can only distribute babel as found  on ctan. To
report issues in the babel sources please use

https://github.com/latex3/babel/issues

That said, your file runs without error for me in an up to date texlive.

\l at french should be defined in the format:

$ latex '\makeatletter\show\l at french'
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.21 (TeX Live 2020) (preloaded
format=latex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2020-02-02> patch level 3
L3 programming layer <2020-02-21>
> \l at french=\char"1C.
<*> \makeatletter\show\l at french

It appears that you have made formats without French hyphenation loaded.

David