Naming the ARM(64) binaries for Windows

Henri Menke henri at henrimenke.de
Wed Dec 2 09:42:28 CET 2020

On Wed, 2020-12-02 at 05:17 +0100, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After figuring out how to build the binaries for arm on Windows, we
> added some preliminary support to ConTeXt.
>
> I just wanted to ask what TeX Live's official name would be for that
> architecture in case it gets supported one day (in order to at least
> try to be somewhat compatible in naming).

It should be named `aarch64`, because the GNU triplet for this architecture is
`aarch64-linux-gnu` which is what GNU config.guess reports, which is used by TeX
Live.  Most Linux distributions call it that way (with Debian being one notable
exception where it's called arm64).  Note that the new Apple Silicon M1
architecture is also called `aarch64-apple-darwin`.  What is the output of
`uname -m` on a Windows ARM machine?

Cheers, Henri