Default installed texlive package error

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 18:35:30 CEST 2020

Hi,

/usr/local/texlive is a default location because it looks nice and it
is assumed that TL maintainer can get the permissions to that
directory. However, you can find a different scheme.

1. TeX Live from TUG should not require root permissions and should be
installed and maintained by a normal user.

2. TeX Live does not require a specific location, the path to its
binaries must only be at the beginning of PATH

3. You can have several versions of TeX live installed at the same
time and the first one in PATH wins.

If you wish to install the latest TL and cannot get permissions to
/usr/loca/texlive, you can create ~/texlive (i.e. in your $HOME) and
install into ~/texlive/2020. When you are done with installation, edit
your .bashrc and add:

export PATH=$HOME/texlive/2020/bin/x64_86:$PATH

All new terminals will then find your TL 2020. If you want to use it
also with GUI apps, you have to modify .bash_profile as well (and
restart X).

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

po 31. 8. 2020 v 17:46 odesílatel Alois Steindl