Fwd: Unable to install TeXLive

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sat Aug 22 15:26:49 CEST 2020

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020 at 06:06:51PM -0500, Matthew Elmer wrote:
> Here is my cmd.exe log from when I opened it to when the error occurred:
> Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18363.1016]
> (c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>
> C:\Users\Frijoles con Arroz>cd Desktop
>
> C:\Users\Frijoles con Arroz\Desktop>cd install-tl-20200820
>
> C:\Users\Frijoles con Arroz\Desktop\install-tl-20200820>dir
>  Volume in drive C is OS
>  Volume Serial Number is EC4E-1F94
>
>  Directory of C:\Users\Frijoles con Arroz\Desktop\install-tl-20200820
>
> 08/21/2020  06:02 PM    <DIR>          .
> 08/21/2020  06:02 PM    <DIR>          ..
> 06/13/2020  03:03 PM           105,829 install-tl
> 05/31/2020  03:09 PM             4,770 install-tl-windows.bat
> 09/28/2006  11:31 AM             2,098 LICENSE.CTAN
> 11/19/2019  09:36 PM             5,267 LICENSE.TL
> 04/06/2020  10:03 AM               350 release-texlive.txt
> 08/21/2020  06:02 PM    <DIR>          texmf-dist
> 08/21/2020  06:02 PM    <DIR>          tlpkg
>                5 File(s)        118,314 bytes
>                4 Dir(s)  708,200,132,608 bytes free
>
> C:\Users\Frijoles con
> Arroz\Desktop\install-tl-20200820>install-tl-windows.bat
> '""C:\Users\Frijoles' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> C:\Users\Frijoles con Arroz\Desktop\install-tl-20200820>

So the problem is installation FROM a folder with a space in the
path. You can create a virtual drive with e.g.:

subst k: "C:\Users\Frijoles con Arroz\Desktop\install-tl-20200820"
cd /d k:\
install-tl-windows.bat

And after installation:
cd /d c:
subst k: /d

I'll apply some such fix to our installer.

--
Siep Kroonenberg