Proposal for texsrc command

निरंजन niranjanvikastambe at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 07:54:33 CEST 2020

Hello friends,

I am Niranjan. I wanted to propose a command named texsrc for seeing the
source code of a package. Currently TeXLive provides the texdoc command
which opens the documentation of any desired package, but there is no such
command for opening the source (.sty) file which is strange.

I am a Linux user and I have TL2020, therefore I have made a shell script
in my /usr/bin/. It works for me (but only till I retain TL2020) and opens
the source text of the desired package. The code is this -

#!/bin/sh
xdg-open /usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/latex/$@/$@.sty

This is a very minimal script. It needs to be refined as per the
distribution year, os and path. I am no expert in shell to satisfy these
requirements, but is it possible to build such a command?

Regards,
Niranjan