Trouble with Czech/Slovak

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 21:33:51 CEST 2020

st 12. 8. 2020 v 21:01 odesílatel Jonathan Kew <jfkthame at gmail.com> napsal:

> On 12/08/2020 18:30, Norbert Preining wrote:
> > On Wed, 12 Aug 2020, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> >> Situation with csplain is quite complex and you should ask Petr Olšák
> >> why it is needed. Anyway, if you want to prepare a multilingual
> > +1
> >
> >> languages present unnecessary complexity. I would leave csplain for
> >> those who know why they need it for their work and use LuaTeX or XeTeX
> >> with polyglossia especially for manuals and such.
> > +10000000 strongly supported. cs* binaries are from a different (stone?)
> > age and not really necessary on newer systems.
> >
> > (That said, I am not sure we need to keep cs* forever in TeX Live if it
> > only creates problems for us and users)
> >

> Even if newer Unicode-based engines/fonts/formats are a better way
> forward for the vast majority of users, the long-established cs* formats
> probably need to be kept around in order to support existing documents
> that depend on them.
>
> Whether this requires keeping the corresponding binaries -- which are
> essentially shortcuts for an engine+format that could be called
> explicitly -- may be less clear, but there could easily be workflows
> that rely on calling [pdf]csplain or [pdf]cslatex as a binary and would
> have to be updated if it were removed.
>
> On the other hand, I'd guess that use of cs* formats with luatex or
> xetex engines may be vanishingly rare.

AFAIK cslatex has never been officially released for xetex and luatex.
Several years ago cslatex was declared obsolete and unmaintained.
However, the old documents cannot be easily compiled with nowaday's
latex. In addition, CSTeX, which is currenlty mostly csplain, contains
Czech and Slovak hyphenation patterns that are used in all engines and
all formats. Use of cslatex for new documents is discouraged but
csplain is still actively maintained by Petr Olšák and used by many
users with all engines.

> JK

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz