xdvipdfmx:fatal: invalid offsize data

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Apr 29 03:11:17 CEST 2020

On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 04:24:53PM -0600, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:
> [This is off the tex-live list for now]

 Lol, I don't think so, but no worries.

> Ken, I just tried your Cantarell test on our TeX Live 2020
> installation on CentOS 7, and it typesets with xelatex, and displays,
> without error.
>
> I wonder if you have some local font corruption?

Thanks for the suggestion.  I've gone back to the machine where I
have binary TL2020 installed, and also cantarell-fonts-0.201.

I got the same: xdvipdfmx:fatal: invalid offsize data

But I've got the old cantarell-fonts-0.0.24 source which is what I
looked at just over two years ago.  So I removed the 0.201 install
(which has several extra font variants) and installed 0.0.24.

With that, my full tex file builds fine with xelatex.  Unfortunately
the visual details of the newer version have changed (no 'foot' on
'1' and supposedly better spacing) so I'd like to do my analysis on
the current version (how the glyphs look, which languages are
supported).

I then removed 0.0.24 and reinstalled 0.201 and am back to the
original xdvipdfmx:fatal: invalid offsize data

So, it is specific to this font (and perhaps others).  So, I'd still
appreciate, from anyone who knows, how to work around this.

> With evince, the Properties -> Fonts popup shows
>
> 	Cantarell-Regular-Identity-H
> 	Type 1C (CID)
> 	Encoding: Identity-H
> 	Embedded subset

I'm not aware of how to access that popup (very likely I'm missing
deps, e.g. nautilus, because I'm still soemthing of a minimalist in
what I build).

But in any case, with 0.201 no valid PDF so I would not be able to
run that.

> The XeLaTeX .log file shows:
>
> Package fontspec Info: Font family 'Cantarell(0)' created for font 'Cantarell'
> (fontspec)             with options [Ligatures=TeX].
> (fontspec)
> (fontspec)              This font family consists of the following NFSS
> (fontspec)             series/shapes:
> (fontspec)
> (fontspec)             - 'normal' (m/n) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             <->"Cantarell/OT:script=latn;language=dflt;mapping=tex-t
> ext;"
> (fontspec)             - 'small caps'  (m/sc) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             - 'bold' (b/n) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             <->"Cantarell/B/OT:script=latn;language=dflt;mapping=tex
> -text;"
> (fontspec)             - 'bold small caps'  (b/sc) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             - 'italic' (m/it) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             <->"Cantarell/I/OT:script=latn;language=dflt;mapping=tex
> -text;"
> (fontspec)             - 'italic small caps'  (m/scit) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             - 'bold italic' (b/it) with NFSS spec.:
> (fontspec)             <->"Cantarell/BI/OT:script=latn;language=dflt;mapping=te
> x-text;"
> (fontspec)             - 'bold italic small caps'  (b/scit) with NFSS spec.:

Which is a a bit more than I got for 0.201 (after the info messages
about probably non-existent variants) :

Package fontspec Info: Font family 'Cantarell(0)' created for font 'Cantarell'
(fontspec)             with options [Ligatures=TeX].
(fontspec)
(fontspec)              This font family consists of the following NFSS
(fontspec)             series/shapes:
(fontspec)
(fontspec)             - 'normal' (m/n) with NFSS spec.:
(fontspec)             <->"Cantarell/OT:script=latn;language=dflt;mapping=tex-t
ext;"
(fontspec)             - 'small caps'  (m/sc) with NFSS spec.:

Strangely, 0.0.24 installed -Bold, -BoldOblique, -Oblique as well as
-Regular otf files, but 0.201 installed -Bold, -ExtraBold, -Light,
-Regular, -Thin and -VF otf files (no oblique, and I've no idea what
the -VF variant is, although according to fc-list and grep it
contains all the 5 files).

Hmm, will try without the -VF.

ĸen
--
He could send for Ptraci, his favourite handmaiden. She was special.
Her singing always cheered him up. Life seemed so much brighter when