Package, Logo and Open Source

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Apr 25 02:23:24 CEST 2020

On 2020-04-25 at 01:08:15 +0200, Zdenek Wagner wrote:

 > Logos are usually even more non-free because they can only be used
 > on official documents of the institution owning the logo, not by
 > general public.

This is true but I also understand why package authors want to make
them accessible as easy as possible to those who are allowed to use
them.

The best solution is to add the logos to either tlcontrib

  https://contrib.texlive.info/

or a similar server maintained by the institution.  The package
documentation has to describe how to add the particular repository to
TeX Live.  The easiest way is to describe how to add an additional
repository on the command line with tlmgr.

Of course, whatever is published should be accompanied by a license
statement, preferably in a directory searched by texdoc.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25
D-30167 Hannover                    mailto:reinhard.kotucha at web.de