Package, Logo and Open Source

Paul Gaborit paul.gaborit at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 22:59:34 CEST 2020

Le 23/04/2020 à 21:30, Norbert Preining a écrit :
> What do you mean with "the logo is not open source"? In particular,
> what is the license of the logo?

The logo of my institute is protected as a trademark. It can be freely
distributed but it cannot be used freely for public documents without
the agreement of my institute.

> Assuming some non-free license, the logo will be removed from the
> package when imported into TeX Live. How will you package react to
> the absence of the logo file? Does it show a place-holder?

I think that the logo of the Mathematics Society of France ("Société
Mathématique of France") is protected in the same way. But it is
distributed by TeXLive:

/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/latex/nwejm/images/nwejm-smf-logo.pdf

<https://smf.emath.fr/>

I found another logo which is probably in the same legal situation:

/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/tex/latex/fithesis/logo/mu/fithesis-base-color.pdf

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masaryk_University>

--
     Paul Gaborit