[tex-live] adding support for MidnightBSD in tlmgr

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sat Apr 18 22:06:32 CEST 2020

On 2020-04-17 at 18:35:47 -0600, Nelson H. F. Beebe wrote:

 > I have just successfully used my amd64-freebsd113 binaries to run a
 > TeX Live 2020 update on Midnight BSD 1.2, installed from the
 > texcol2020.iso file.
 >
 > The only glitch is that tlmgr does not recognize that system: it
 > reports
 >
 > 	tlmgr: could not guess OS from config.guess string:        \
 > 	amd64-unknown-midnightbsd1.2 at                            \
 > 	/usr/uumath/texlive/2020/tlpkg/TeXLive/TLUtils.pm line 325.
 >
 > On that system, I find these results:
 >
 > 	% /usr/uumath/texlive/2020/tlpkg/installer/config.guess
 > 	amd64-unknown-midnightbsd1.2
 >
 > 	% uname -s
 > 	MidnightBSD
 >
 > 	% uname -r
 > 	1.2
 >
 > 	% uname -m
 > 	amd64
 >
 > I have other MidnightBSD systems running versions 1.0 and 1.1.
 >
 > Would some perl expert care to offer suitable patches to TLUtils.pm
 > to add support for MidnightBSD?  I'll be happy to test them before
 > they get added to the official TeX Live 2020 tree.

Hi Nelson,
first of all, TLUtils.pm doesn't use uname directly but calls
config.guess.  The CPU part (amd64) seems to be ok because this is
quite common on BSD systems.  For MidnightBSD the version number must
be stripped from the output of config.guess.

As far as I can see all you have to do is to add "midnightbsd" to the
list of operating systems, @OSs, in TLUtils.pm line 314.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25