TEXMFDBS and TEXMFHOME

Pablo González L pablgonz at educarchile.cl
Fri Apr 17 18:59:14 CEST 2020

> Yes, 250 is small. My quite small texmf-local contains 7200 files.
> Compare with texmfdist containing more than 190 thousand files.
>
> >     > ----------- Snip 8 ---------------------
> >
> >     > If you _have_ a lot of files in TEXMFHOME you can consider to move
> >     > then to TEXMFLOCAL if possible.
> >
> > This is not possible, where the texlive distribution has been installed
> > by root. Like the OP, I like to carry my ~/.texmf round with me, so I
> > can work from multiple machines.

>From the time I've been using TeXLive, I rarely set up variables that are
"complicated", not to mention that you can easily break something if you
misspell a comma or something like that (it's already over my head).
I think you can get out of the way with something simpler if you want to share
between different machines (linux/win/mac) and that is to use `auxtree`.

First we check the output of:

$ kpsewhich -all texmf.cnf
/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf.cnf
/usr/local/texlive/2020/texmf-dist/web2c/texmf.cnf

You should get an out like that, now we edit `.bashrc` and add:

export TEXMFCNF='~/texmf:'

Let's assume that the directory containing all the work you want (in
TDS structure)
is in
~/work/manyfiles/

And now we run:

$ tlmgr conf auxtrees --conffile /home/yourname/texmf/texmf.cnf add
~/work/manyfiles/

And we checked the output of:

$ tlmgr conf auxtrees --conffile /home/yourname/texmf/texmf.cnf show
List of auxiliary texmf trees:
  /home/yourname/work/manyfiles/

And these ready :)
Without using 'sudo' or anything like that, only with our user account.
Of course, it is good and recommended that you read the related documentation

PS: Cambien works in windows if you have collaborative work with other people

Saludos
Pablo