TEXMFDBS and TEXMFHOME

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:03:26 CEST 2020

pá 17. 4. 2020 v 8:37 odesílatel Colin Baxter <m43cap at yandex.com> napsal:

>     > ----------- Snip 8 ---------------------
>
>     > By default there is no ls-R file in TEXMFHOME and TEXMFHOME is not
>     > in TEXMFDBS.  This is intentional because the number of files in
>     > TEXMFHOME is relatively small and a database lookup is not
>     > necessary.
>
> But what is "small"? I have 250+ files in my ~/.texmf, various old .tex
> and personal .sty files, and documentation.

Yes, 250 is small. My quite small texmf-local contains 7200 files.
Compare with texmfdist containing more than 190 thousand files.

>     > ----------- Snip 8 ---------------------
>
>     > If you _have_ a lot of files in TEXMFHOME you can consider to move
>     > then to TEXMFLOCAL if possible.
>
> This is not possible, where the texlive distribution has been installed
> by root. Like the OP, I like to carry my ~/.texmf round with me, so I
> can work from multiple machines.

OK but then you are in a problem. If your TEXMFHOME is in TEXMFDBS and
a root runs mktexlsr, then the ls-R files in your TEXMFHOME will be
owned by root and you will not be able to update them

> Best wishes,
>
> Colin.

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz