TEXMFDBS and TEXMFHOME

Colin Baxter m43cap at yandex.com
Fri Apr 17 08:37:26 CEST 2020

    > ----------- Snip 8 ---------------------

    > By default there is no ls-R file in TEXMFHOME and TEXMFHOME is not
    > in TEXMFDBS.  This is intentional because the number of files in
    > TEXMFHOME is relatively small and a database lookup is not
    > necessary.

But what is "small"? I have 250+ files in my ~/.texmf, various old .tex
and personal .sty files, and documentation.

    > If you _have_ a lot of files in TEXMFHOME you can consider to move
    > then to TEXMFLOCAL if possible.

This is not possible, where the texlive distribution has been installed
by root. Like the OP, I like to carry my ~/.texmf round with me, so I
can work from multiple machines.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Colin Baxter