Texlive old install support

Eduardo Ochs eduardoochs at gmail.com
Wed Apr 15 03:51:42 CEST 2020

A few months ago I had to install Texlive 2016 and Texlive 2017 in my
Debian box for a paper that uses biber and that I needed to upload to
arxiv... arxiv wouldn't run biber on it itself, so I had to generate a
.bbl using the right version of Texlive.

I took "executable notes" of everything that I did - in the sense of
<http://angg.twu.net/emacsconf2019.html> - and the commands that I
gave for Texlive 2016 were these (note that some lines are sent to the
shell and some others to install-tl):

--snip--snip--

export S=$HOME/snarf
mkdir -p $S/http/ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2016/
cd       $S/http/ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2016/
wget -nc  http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2016/texlive2016.iso
wget -nc  http://ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2016/texlive2016.iso.md5
md5sum -c  texlive2016.iso.md5

mkdir -p    /tmp/loop
sudo umount /tmp/loop
sudo mount -o loop,ro \
  $S/http/ftp.math.utah.edu/pub/tex/historic/systems/texlive/2016/texlive2016.iso
\
  /tmp/loop

cd /tmp/loop/
sudo ./install-tl
2
/usr/local/texlive/2016/texmf-local
7
~/.texlive2016/texmf

--snip--snip--

To compile my paper with the old Texlive, what I did was:

  export PATH=/usr/local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH
  which lualatex
  which biber

  # Some kind of "make clean", then:
  lualatex         2019J-ops.tex
  biber            2019J-ops
  pdflatex -record 2019J-ops.tex

I think that if half a dozen people could share their recipes for
installing old Texlives then we can consider that we've done our part,
and we can delegate the next steps to people who are more web-savvy
and more end-user-savvy than us...

  Cheers,
    Eduardo Ochs
    http://angg.twu.net/dednat6.html