LaTeX compilers can't find files in texmf-local

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Apr 12 20:54:27 CEST 2020

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 08:28:01PM +0200, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> On 2020-04-12 at 16:28:41 +0200, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>
>  > On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:09:03PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
>  > > On Sun, 12 Apr 2020, Manuel Boni wrote:
>  > > > 2) Give full control of the folder to every user
>  > >
>  > > Write access??? Should not be necessary. read and execute is necessary
>  > > for each directory on the way, as I wrote before.
>  >
>  > The permission system of NTFS is impossibly complicated, and the
>  > tools to handle permissions, either gui or command-line, are pretty
>  > horrible. So, straightening out permissions by copying things back
>  > and forth is not totally insane.
>
> It's quite time consuming though.  I have problems with file
> permissions quite often at work and asked our IT department for help.
>
> I don't have access to a Windows machine right now and dialog boxes on
> the machine at work are in German.  Maybe someone with an English
> version could provide a more exact answer.
>
> Windows uses access control lists instead of Unix-like file
> permissions.  If you create a new subdirectory, this directory
> inherits the permissions from its parent directory.
>
> If something is wrong, go to a parent directory in the Exploder, for
> instance 'c:/texlive/'.  Then right-click on the problematic
> directory, for instance '2020' or 'texmf-local' and select
> 'properties'.  Select the 'security' tab.  Check whether the
> permissions of this directory are correct.  This is very important.
> If you are not sure, compare these settings with those of other
> directories.
>
> There is a button 'Erweitert' on a German Windows, maybe 'Extended' or

> similar in English.  If you click on this button you'll see a checkbox
> at the bottom which, when checked, makes all subdirectories to inherit
> the permissions of the current directory.  This takes a while because
> the whole tree has to be scanned but is *much* faster than copying
> files around.

There is a button 'Enable inheritance' and a checkbox 'Replace all
child object permission entries with inheritable permission entries
from this object'

Near the top of this window, you can also change the owner.

Worth a try, but often enough I failed to accomplish what I wanted.

But I must add that I usually do not try very hard, because for me
refreshing a virtual machine takes but a moment, and even a
non-virtual windows is quickly restored from an image backup.

--
Siep Kroonenberg