LaTeX compilers can't find files in texmf-local

Reinhard Kotucha reinhard.kotucha at web.de
Sun Apr 12 20:28:01 CEST 2020

On 2020-04-12 at 16:28:41 +0200, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

 > On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 11:09:03PM +0900, Norbert Preining wrote:
 > > On Sun, 12 Apr 2020, Manuel Boni wrote:
 > > > 2) Give full control of the folder to every user
 > >
 > > Write access??? Should not be necessary. read and execute is necessary
 > > for each directory on the way, as I wrote before.
 >
 > The permission system of NTFS is impossibly complicated, and the
 > tools to handle permissions, either gui or command-line, are pretty
 > horrible. So, straightening out permissions by copying things back
 > and forth is not totally insane.

It's quite time consuming though.  I have problems with file
permissions quite often at work and asked our IT department for help.

I don't have access to a Windows machine right now and dialog boxes on
the machine at work are in German.  Maybe someone with an English
version could provide a more exact answer.

Windows uses access control lists instead of Unix-like file
permissions.  If you create a new subdirectory, this directory
inherits the permissions from its parent directory.

If something is wrong, go to a parent directory in the Exploder, for
instance 'c:/texlive/'.  Then right-click on the problematic
directory, for instance '2020' or 'texmf-local' and select
'properties'.  Select the 'security' tab.  Check whether the
permissions of this directory are correct.  This is very important.
If you are not sure, compare these settings with those of other
directories.

There is a button 'Erweitert' on a German Windows, maybe 'Extended' or
similar in English.  If you click on this button you'll see a checkbox
at the bottom which, when checked, makes all subdirectories to inherit
the permissions of the current directory.  This takes a while because
the whole tree has to be scanned but is *much* faster than copying
files around.

Maybe someone with an English Windows can provide a better
explanation with exact wordings.

Regards,
  Reinhard

Marschnerstr. 25