LaTeX compilers can't find files in texmf-local

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Sun Apr 12 16:18:32 CEST 2020

ne 12. 4. 2020 v 16:09 odesílatel Norbert Preining
<norbert at preining.info> napsal:

> On Sun, 12 Apr 2020, Manuel Boni wrote:
> > 2) Give full control of the folder to every user
>
> Write access??? Should not be necessary. read and execute is necessary
> for each directory on the way, as I wrote before.

I agree with Norbert, the permissions should be r for files and rx for
directories and there should be one nonprivileged person allowed to
update texmf-local, that owner should have rw for files and rwx for
directories. If you need more maintainers, then you should create a
group, eg "texlive", add the maintainers to that group and make the
relevant trees owned by that group. What often happens is that you
accidentally run mktexlsr as root, the ls-R files become owned by root
and further mktexlsr by normal user does not work and the error
messages are not loud enough. If this happens, there is no need to
move the trees, just becom root, use recursive chown and chmod to set
the correct perissions and finally run mktexlsr as nonprivileged user
optionally from the required group (if set).

> Norbert

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz