microscopic fonts in TL guis

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 13:03:14 CEST 2020

On Thu, 9 Apr 2020 at 21:03, Norbert Preining <norbert at preining.info> wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> > Well, there you go.  I over-graded to openjdk 14 and now the GUI comes
> > up at a reasonable size.  Thanks for the solution.  I didn't realize
>
> Good to hear.
>
> > my JDK was so out of date.  (I avoid Java like the plague, so ...)
>
> Well, there is a lot of good reasons to stay with Java8, most prominent
> being the change of licensing. But well, it is all very very
> complicated with Oracle.

I'm no Java expert, but I use some large Java GUI applications from
the European Space Agency.   Oracle JDK 8 has features that were
omitted from OpenJDK, so these applications currently require JRE 8.
I ran across one of these features that has appeared as a separate
package, but other components are either not available with OpenJDK
or have newer versions that the GUI apps don't yet support.   Even
experienced users of these applications struggle to get them to work
in recent linux distros.

--
George N. White III