microscopic fonts in TL guis

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 17:37:58 CEST 2020

čt 9. 4. 2020 v 16:21 odesílatel Philip Taylor
<P.Taylor at hellenic-institute.uk> napsal:

> Jim Diamond via tex-live wrote:
>
> I think "correct" means "if the screen is physically X DPI, then Xshould report X".
> Other people seem to think "correct" means "96, regardless of what reality is".
>
> I consider the latter to be a horrible kludge which has become popular
> because it is expedient, but YMMV.
>

> Blame not the kludgers, Jim, blame the CSS Working Group who defined the CSS reference pixel to be the visual angle of one pixel on a device with a pixel density of 96 DPI and a distance from the reader of an arm’s length. (for the British Standard Arm, clearly: see BS 31415 (1899), as amended).

Yes, CSS using pixels (no matter whether based on 96 or even older 72)
is wrong. When setting the properties of my monitor I took its size in
pixels and inches and calculated the resolution. Java apparently takes
the value from my system settings and font size is defined in
tlcockpit in typographical units, not in pixels, but Tk uses its own
strange value.

> https://hacks.mozilla.org/2013/09/css-length-explained/
>

> Philip Taylor

Zdeněk Wagner