microscopic fonts in TL guis

Jim Diamond Jim.Diamond at acadiau.ca
Thu Apr 9 16:13:57 CEST 2020

Hi Zdenek,

On Thu, Apr  9, 2020 at 08:25 (+0200), Zdenek Wagner wrote:

> I do not have TL 2020 so far, I have just tried tlcockpit from TL 2019. It says:

> Running on Java Version 1.8.0_131

> I do not have GDK_SCALE set. In fact, I run KDE Plasma. I do not have
> Gnome, I only have the GTK libraries installed because gimp and a few
> other apps need them. I see the fonts in a reasonable size. It can
> depend on setting the resolution of the screen. I have a correct
> setting in my system.

"Correct" setting seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

I think "correct" means "if the screen is physically X DPI, then X
should report X".  Other people seem to think "correct" means "96,
regardless of what reality is".

I consider the latter to be a horrible kludge which has become popular
because it is expedient, but YMMV.

Cheers.

                                Jim

--
Dr. Jim Diamond       "Convenio ergo sum"      |                        /"\
Jodrey School of Computer Science              | ASCII Ribbon Campaign  \ /