[EXT] Re: TeX Collection upload from April 6

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 16:37:58 CEST 2020

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 09:19, Philip Taylor <P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:

> Good morning Nornert, copy all —
>
> "tlcockpit" is still spinning like a top ...
>
> Also spinning for me (Microsoft Windows  [Version 10.0.19041.172]) with
I have an install from the first texcol2020.iso, but now set repository to
the new ISO (loop mount).

 C:\Users\gwhite>tlmgr repository
List of repositories (with tags if set):
        e:/texlive (main)

C:\Users\gwhite>tlmgr update --list
tlmgr.pl: package repository e:/texlive (not verified: gpg unavailable)
tlmgr itself needs to be updated.
Please do this via either
  tlmgr update --self
or by getting the latest updater for Unix-ish systems:
  http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/update-tlmgr-latest.sh
and/or Windows systems:
  http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/update-tlmgr-latest.exe
Then continue with other updates as usual.
tlmgr.pl: would save backups to C:/texlive/2020/tlpkg/backups
update:   texlive.infra      [420k]: local:    54553, source:    54630
update:   texlive-msg-translations [138k]: local:    54534, source:    54625
update:   texlive-scripts    [344k]: local:    54612, source:    54624

I next ran tlshell and asked it to update tlmgr:

tlmgr.pl: package repository e:/texlive (not verified: gpg unavailable)
tlmgr.pl: saving backups to C:/texlive/2020/tlpkg/backups
tlmgr.pl: Preparing TeX Live infrastructure update...
tlmgr.pl: Backup option not implemented for infrastructure update.
DO NOT CLOSE THIS WINDOW!
TeX Live infrastructure update in progress ...
Detailed command logging to "C:\texlive\2020\temp\update-self.log"
failed self update: texlive.infra (54553 -> 54630)
Rolling back to previous version ...
self restore: texlive.infra (54553)
Infrastructure update failed. Previous version has been restored.

I was able to update via command-line from a local mirror of the pretest
site (hosted on a linux box).
After that, regular installs worked using the ISO via Windows loop mount.

I cannot reproduce this unless you are having a strange tlmgr setup.

--
George N. White III