[EXT] Re: TeX Collection upload from April 6

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Wed Apr 8 12:39:33 CEST 2020

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 11:16:31AM +0100, Philip Taylor wrote:
> Siep Kroonenberg wrote:
>

> Tlmgr is the back end of tlshell. You wrote that tlmgr did nothing
> useful, so you should look first at tlmgr.
>

> Ah, no, I think you misunderstood (or I explained myself badly).  I am not in the least concerned that neither "tlmgr" nor "tlmgr --gui" did anything useful, since they are not exposed in the "Start" menu and I was simply seeking some way to attempt an upgrade after initial install.  My concern is solely that "tlshell.exe" dies on trying to load a remote repository, since it is to "tlshell" that the TeX Live 2020 "Start" menu links, and therefore "tlshell" which will be the utility that 99.9% of Windows TeX Live / Collection users will use.
>
> So, what I am seeking is specifically information on what debugging options are available for "tlshell.exe" (qua "tlshell.exe") rather than "tlmgr".
>
> ** Phil.

Right now you cannot upgrade from a dvd install, since the regular
mirrors are still for TL2019. When tlshell fails to connect to a
repository, there should be a popup window to give you the chance to
abort or pick another repository.

There is a problem, in particular on w7, that windows often fail to
come to the foreground; in such a case you have to select it from
the taskbar instead. But this does not explain your exact problem.

In my tests, I have no problem loading the dvd as repository.

--
Siep Kroonenberg