[texcollection] TeX Collection upload from April 6

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Wed Apr 8 11:35:30 CEST 2020

On Wed, Apr 08, 2020 at 11:17:49AM +0200, Manfred Lotz wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 10:44:40 +0200
> Siep Kroonenberg <siepo at bitmuis.nl> wrote:

> > > I also retested setup/texcollection.exe, on 64-bit windows 7, I got
> > > a message about a missing dll:
> > >
> > > The program can't start because api-ms-win-crt-conio-l1-0.dll is
> > > missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this
> > > problem.
> >
> > But I guess many users will have this dll already from installing
> > other software. E.g., Phil Taylor's screenshot shows a successfully
> > started texcollection.exe on windows 7.
> >

> I naively thought that Windows 7 is something from the past, and no
> longer supported by Microsoft.
>
> So, should (must) texlive support Windows 7 officially?

As far as I am concerned: we support it as long as it is not too
much trouble, since it is still used by a lot of people.

I ran into this problem because my windows test machines are
extremely barebones virtual machines with no software installed
beyond qemu and spice guest tools, and therefore no optional
redistributable dlls. As I wrote, many w7 users may not run into it.

Anyhow, w7 users have the workaround option to run protext/setup or
texlive/install-tl-windows directly.

So it is fine with me if you decide to go ahead anyway.

--
Siep Kroonenberg