Call for testing: TeX Collection 2020

Harald Koenig koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de
Mon Apr 6 19:44:52 CEST 2020

Hi,

quick update: today I tried "tlmgr update" with the new 2020 installation,
and tlmgr *does* show the same problem with that specific web proxy!

so something changed in the perl code how to acceess web files through a proxy between tl 2019 and 2020,
all updates will suck in such a configuration:-(

how can I help debugging/understanding why now I need "-no-persistent-downloads" for the very first time,
why all other tools/programs do not show similar issues ?

thanks for any hint/help,

Harald

On Apr 03, Harald Koenig wrote:

> BUT #2: installation on server "failed" somewhat, because there is a 30 seconds timeout trying to connect to a local strange (home grown) web proxy written in python.
> only after 30 secs, the fallback to wget works fine.  4000 packages * 30secs timeout == 2000+ h installtime, that's no fun;)
> using option "-no-persistent-downloads" as workaround then worked.
>
> what's intertesting here is that 'tlmgr update' for tl2019 just works fine with that same proxy/server!
>
> are tlmgr and install-tl using mostly the same web-access code,
> and if yes, did anything change here between 2019 and 2020 ?
> right now there are no new packages in pretest-2020 to test 'tlmgr update' here (will try next week...)
>
> that python proxy so far worked quite flawlessly with *many* external sites and internal tools,
> this is the first "web client" which failed so far.
>
> I've filed an internal bug report for that proxy thing with cut'n'paste script how to install tl-2020, let's see;)
>

> if you have any idea what to test from tl-2020 side to understand/fix this issue,
> I'm happy do help testing (to run debug scripts, I have no perl knowledge so debugging just myself is "hard" == mostly impossible;)
>

> will try to do some install test with the TeX Collection iso image "RSN"...

Harald
--
"I hope to die                                      ___       _____
before I *have* to use Microsoft Word.",           0--,|    /OOOOOOO\