texhash

Siep Kroonenberg siepo at bitmuis.nl
Sun Apr 5 15:05:16 CEST 2020

On Sun, Apr 05, 2020 at 11:38:55AM +0100, Colin Baxter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have installed texlive2019 on a linux (Debian), as a local user, and
> all appears well. I am a little puzzled however by the installation
> and by the output of running texhash. This is compared to my previous
> texlive, which was texlive2013, installed as root, and also on a Debian
> linux system.
>
> 1. The TEXMFVAR (~/.texlive2019/texmf-var), TEXMFCONFIG
> (~/.texlive2019/texmf-config) TEXMFHOME (~/texmf) were not created
> automatically during installation.
>
> 2. texhash <RET> does not update TEXMFHOME (~/texmf). I presumably have
> to specify manually the directory on running texhash?

TEXMFVAR and TEXMFCONFIG will be created automatically as needed.

By default, TeX file searching will not expect a filename database
for TEXMFHOME. It is a matter of balancing the hassle of maintaining
a filename database for the tree versus the extra time needed for
finding files in this tree without such a database. If this tree is
small, as will usually be the case, not having such a database is
the better option.

--
Siep Kroonenberg