Aleph

Taylor, P P.Taylor at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Oct 16 15:43:32 CEST 2019

Zdenek Wagner wrote:

I can now confirm that XeTeX by itself does not misplace the final vowel in my sample text — the problem is seemingly introduced by the use of TikZ's "style characters={ཕེབས་པར་དགའ་བསུ་ཞུ།} with {character command=\Tibetan}"

It depends what exactly you do in TikZ. Especially when typesetting
along a curved path TikZ can insert some code between codepoints and
then the shaping engine does not see the correct groups of characters.
It might help to enclose a consonant with its vowel into braces so
that TikZ considers it one token and does not insert anything in
between.

Yes, I am experimenting with this as I write — I already use grouping for (e.g.,) Nepali & Arabic :

style characters={{स्वा}{ग}{त}{म्}} with {character command=\Nepali},

style characters={{أهلاً}{و}{سهلاً}} with {character command=\Arabic},

but am hampered in trying to do the same with Tibetan due to TeXworks inconsistent treatment of <delete> and <cursor-left/right>.  With <delete>, I can break ཞུ། down into four component elements, but my cursor keys treat it as inseparable ...

** Phil.