Aleph

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 15 17:12:20 CEST 2019

Hi Norbert,

> Hi Zdenek,
>
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2019, Zdenek Wagner wrote:
> > luatex only. Moreover, Devanagari is in luatex broken again and I am
>
> Yes, Devanagari and Tibetan are very similar (obviously from the
> history), to they share the same problems.

Yes, I do not remember the name of the Tibetan emperor who sent a few
persons to India to examine writing systems  and the name of the
person who developed the Tibetan script based on Devanagari. I saw a
textbook of Tibetan many years ago and if I remember it well, the
shaping is more complex than in case of other scripts based on Brahmi.

> You say that you would expect harfbuzz to work correctly, but I don't
> see that this is actually the case.
>
> Do you know what LibreOffice is using? Because LibreOffice correctly
> displays the complicated ligature I send back then when using the fonts
>         YagpoUni
> (and some others), while with Noto Sans Tibetan it is broken.
>
> The attached PDF is generated from LibreOffice with some fonts I have at
> hand.

I can see that the matras are not properly connected but I would not
try to typeset anything in Tibetan myself because I do not know the
language. In addition to Hindi I can only understand a little Nepali,
Marathi, Gujarati and I could probably verify correctness of other
languages using Devanagari and also Panjabi and Bangla. Tibetan is
beyon my knowledge, the typeset text may contain errors which I will
not recognize.