fixing kpathsea

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sun Nov 24 14:55:39 CET 2019

Hi Andrew,

On Sun, 24 Nov 2019, N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
> Sorry for the delay. I've now completely deleted the TUG texlive
> installation from [$HOME], and have reinstalled it as a regular user.

THat wasn't necessary, a simple chmod -R user.group of the texlive
directory would have sufficied.

But anyway.

> as a regular user returned two lines in ~/.profile, where that variable
> appears to be set. I've now commented those lines out.

Ahh, but then it does mean that your environment settings are carried
over to root when doing su, which is normally not a good idea and more
modern versions don't do this, AFAIR (or you need to add -E to
explicitly enable it).

> I was then able to install texlive-basic from the gentoo package tree
> successfully.

As I suspected.

> *Cripes*. Sorry for all the trouble. Now, I have the TUG texlive installed
> in a local directory, and have the system one installed in the system
> directories. Norbert, is there anything I need to do further to get these
> two systems working together?

The only thing you need to make sure is that
- when root does some package updates, the "user" TL is not in the PATH
- when you want the "user" TL as normal user, that its "bin/ARCH/"
  directory is added to the front of the PATH
- **No** environmental variables **whatsoever**
  (they should be really only be necessary in very uncommon situations)

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev