fixing kpathsea

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Sat Nov 16 04:58:41 CET 2019

Dear Reinhard,

generally your advise is correct, but not in this case.

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019, Reinhard Kotucha wrote:
> Andrew, there is one thing you should fix first.  You obviously
> installed TL from TUG as root.  This was wrong.  Suppose that you

Maybe.

> update the system TL with "emerge --update" and TL from TUG with
> "tlmgr --update", both as root, how can your computer distinguish
> between the distros with one and the same setting of PATH?

The aren't. He clearly stated that
	which kpsewhich
etc returned
	/usr/bin/kpsewhich
for root.

So there aren't *two* in the PATH.

BUT, there are other problems:
- env variable TEXMFCNF, which includes the TUG version
- user permissions.

I first wanted to get the first fixed, and get updates of the system
packages working. Then one can look at problems in the local install.

>   sudo chown -R andrew:users /home/andrew

Not a good idea, first you don't know whether "users" is the correct
group, nor do you want ot change **all** files, as this might include
files that have different ownership on purpose (think www-data for html
files, ...)

>   grep -r tex-local /etc
>   grep -r tex-local /root

That is probably a good idea ...

> Norbert, I can't believe that there is something wrong with Gentoo.
> I used Gentoo for many years and it was always reliable.  And bugs in
> such important packages as TeX Live are certainly noticed and fixed
> immediately.  I abandoned Gentoo two years ago mainly because system
> updates consumed too much time, not because I was unsatisfied with
> the distribution in general.

As said, it is somehow broken because the binaries use SELFAUTOPARENT =
as ../../ which is the setting TL upstream, which has the reason because
we have
	ROOT/bin/ARCH/
but in the distribution case it should be only, thus it should be build
with
	--disable-multiplatform
which they didn't do. So they trick around with additonal config
settings... my guess, never seen.

Best

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev