fixing kpathsea

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 02:52:32 CET 2019

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 12:37, N. Andrew Walsh <n.andrew.walsh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Alexander,
>
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 5:15 PM Alexander Grahn <A.Grahn at web.de> wrote:
>

>> I also have Gentoo running, but I gave up trying to use TL that ships with
>> the distro. Instead, …
>>

> I have no issue with simply using the TUG TL for everything. How do you
> deal with the various dependencies? Just add them to
> /etc/portage/package.provided or whatever?
>
> If gentoo's TL just won't work with a TUG TL residing on the same machine,
> that may be a solution. How do you set it up?

A normal install of TUG TL can coexist with distro TeX systems, but some
care is needed in adjusting the PATH and avoiding conflicts in
"~/.texliveYYYY".
If you have no need for the distro TL, there are ways to tell the distro
package manager that TL requirements are satisfied by your TUG TL
installation. For Gentoo, this approach is described in
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/TeX_Live_manual_installation  This document
suggests installing to /usr/local and then running tlmgr as root.   A more
secure (in the sense that it is best to minimize the processing done using
"root" privileges) approach is to create /usr/local/texlive (requires
"root") and change ownership to a normal user (also needs "root").  The TUG
installation can then be run by that user (either a designated TL manager
on multi-user systems or the sole user of a workstation).

--
George N. White III