fixing kpathsea

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at yandex.ru
Thu Nov 14 10:57:20 CET 2019

Hello,
** N. Andrew Walsh <n.andrew.walsh at gmail.com> [2019-11-14 10:27:06 +0100]:

> Hi Lars,
>
> On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 10:09 AM Lars Madsen <daleif at math.au.dk> wrote:
>
>> Ok so that is your problem you have never setup your terminal to use TUG
>> TL (I would probably have done that instead of hardwriring paths into the
>> editor)
>>

> well, as I said, my .bashrc file has the following line:
>
> export PATH=/[$HOME]/tex-local/texlive/2017/:$PATH.

That is not current TUG TeX Live (current is 2019). Or you just use 2017
for current TL?

> Is there some other line I need in my .bashrc? Including the path to the
> binaries as well (ie, /[$HOME]/tex-local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux/)
> doesn't seem to help.

I think you do fundamentally wrong things and seems that you don't
understand how shell and envrinoment works (despite you use gentoo).

I'm using Archlinux and TeX Live as distribution packages and from TUG
and don't have any problem. So let's try to figure out what is going on
your side.

First open a shell (terminal with _bash_ shell) and show output of

$ echo $PATH

^ this is regular user shell prompt!

Next, show output of

$ command -v pdflatex
$ command -v tlmgr

Then, show output of

$ env | grep -i tex

>> Is your TUG TL installed as you or root?
>>

> as root.

That's a bit ridiculous, you installed TUG TL into a user home directory
as root? Or you use root rights to set symlinks into /usr/local/bin?

I'm don't understard why you installed TUG TL (2019?) into user
directory as root, you could install it as regular user. Or you could
install it as root into, for example, /usr/local/opt/texlive (I usually
install TUG TL into that directory).

Now, if you installed gentoo TL packages the binaries might be installed
into /usr/bin (I presume that gentoo don't mess with /usr vs /usr/local
when installing the distribution packages) then there must be a pdflatex
in it:

$ ls -lA /usr/bin/pdfl*

Please, give us exact information about location of TeX binaries in your
system and you will get help much quickly.

> Cheers,

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Think of your family tonight.  Try to crawl home after the computer crashes.