xltabular and booktabs failing on "(" -- toprule, midrule, bottomrule only on first column

Alexander Krumeich alexander.krumeich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 10:49:30 CET 2019

Herbert,

thanks for the quick response. I tried changing from tabular* to
tabularx, but the problem persists. This is the modified MWE:

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}
\usepackage{xltabular}
\usepackage{booktabs}

\begin{document}
\begin{tabularx}{\textwidth}{@{}ll@{}}
  \toprule
  Column 1 & Column 2 \\
  \midrule
  (None) & Other \\
  \bottomrule
\end{tabularx}
\end{document}

Again: if I remove the opening parenthesis, lualatex (and latex as
well, btw) compiles the MWE. With the opening parenthesis, however, it
crashes. This only occurs when the opening parenthesis is immediately
after either \toprule or \midrule. Subsequent table rows have no
problem.

The second issue of the original message also persists with tabularx:
table rules only extend over the first column of the table.

Thanks again for looking into this!

Alexander