fixing kpathsea

George N. White III gnwiii at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 13:24:03 CET 2019

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 at 08:17, N. Andrew Walsh <n.andrew.walsh at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> arrgh, sorry: I accidentally sent the below message only to the recipient
> and not the full list.
>
> Any advice on how to resolve the issues described below?
>
> Cheers,

> From: N. Andrew Walsh <n.andrew.walsh at gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 4:17 PM
> Subject: Re: fixing kpathsea
> To: Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu>
>

> Hi Nelson,
>
> On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 3:43 PM Nelson H. F. Beebe <beebe at math.utah.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> To debug the Gentoo mktexlsr.pl missing file problem, run
>>
>>         strace -f -o foo.strace tlmgr ....
>>

> that returns:
>  $ strace -f -o foo.strace tlmgr
> strace: Can't stat 'tlmgr': No such file or directory
>

>> It could be that you have a $HOME/.texliveYYYY directory that contains
>> additional configuration files that are leading searches astray.  If
>> so, try temporarily renaming $HOME/.texliveYYYY to, e.g.,
>> $HOME/.texliveYYYY-hide, and then rerun tlmgr.
>>

> I have a tlmgr in
> /home/[$TEXLOCAL]/tex-local/texlive/2017/bin/x86_64-linux/, but if I run
> the strace command given above on tlmgr there, I get the following error:
>
>  # strace -f -o foo.strace tlmgr
> Can't locate TeXLive/TLConfig.pm in @INC (you may need to install the
> TeXLive::TLConfig module) (@INC contains: //texmf-dist/scripts/texlive
> //tlpkg /etc/perl /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.30.0/x86_64-linux
> /usr/local/lib64/perl5/5.30.0
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.30.0/x86_64-linux
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/lib64/perl5
> /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl/5.12.4 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl
> /usr/lib64/perl5/5.30.0/x86_64-linux /usr/lib64/perl5/5.30.0) at
> bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr line 100.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at bin/x86_64-linux/tlmgr line 100.
>
> The only path I have specified that I can find is in .bashrc, which has
> the following paths specified:
>
> export
> PYTHONPATH=/[$HOME]/Downloads/frescobaldi-git/lib64/python3.5/site-packages/
> export PATH=$PATH:/[$TEXLOCAL]/tex-local/texlive/2017/
>
> is that second line formatted incorrectly somehow? I want/need atom and
> other tex programs to be able to find the "full" texlive installation, but
> system packages depend on being able to find the distro texlive. Is there
> some other way I should be writing that?

Still catching up after the long weekend -- sorry for the delay in
responding.

The problem with your PATH is that the distro programs (e.g., from
/usr/bin) will be used because that entry is earlier in the PATH. There is
no single PATH setting  that will let system apps use the system PATH and
also let you use newer (or older) TeX Live programs in a terminal.   To
deal with this, many GUI apps allow you to specify the location of
programs.

My use case includes building/porting 3rd party science codes with
documentation using TeX/LaTeX, in which case I prefer the distro tools (TeX
Live, Cmake, etc)  as that is what the majority of other users have, so
want to use the default system path.   When I want to work with TeX Live, I
use Lmod <https://github.com/TACC/Lmod> to add the TeX Live binary
directory to the PATH in the current shell.   For some applications wrapper
scripts can be used to run the app with a custom PATH:

#! /bin/bash
PATH="<TeX Live bin directory>:$PATH"
exec "<path to app>" "$@"

--