bibtex issues

Norbert Preining preining at logic.at
Wed Nov 13 03:06:49 CET 2019

Hi Rich,

> is authordate4.bst.

Well, this comes from the authordate package by David Rhead which is
from 1992 ... not sure we will see updates here ;-)

> First, these styles define bold face, emphasize, and small caps using the
> deprecated codes \bf, \em, and \sc respectively. When pdflatex tries to

Hmm, I don't see any errors *what*so*ever* in my test file:

$ cat authordatetest.tex
\documentclass{report}
\usepackage{authordate1-4}

\begin{document}

Hello World \cite{Brinson1993}

\bibliographystyle{authordate4}

\bibliography{authordatetest}

\end{document}
$

Runing this through latex/bibtex/latex/latex gives no errors.

Do you use \documentclass ?

> Second, documents stored by kbibtex as type technical report include the
> string, 'Tech. rept.' in the document's bibliography even though that string

That comes from the function
	FUNCTION {format.tr.number}
	{ type empty$
	    { "Tech. rept."  }                                      %  ODWE abbrevs.
	    'type
	  if$
	  number empty$
	    { "t" change.case$ }
	    { number tie.or.space.connect }
	  if$
	}
so it indicates that a field "type" needs to be present and have some
value to not show the "Tech. rept." string.

That means, you should use the following bib item:

@techreport{Brinson1993,
 	abstract = {...},
 	author = {Brinson, M.M.},
 	institution = {US Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Experiment Station},
 	keywords = {wetlands, geomorphology, hydrology, ecology},
 	number = {WRP-DE-4},
	type = {Technical Report}
 	pagetotal = {103},
 	subtitle = {Wetlands Research Program},
 	title = {{A Hydrogeomorphic Classification for Wetlands}},
 	year = {1993}
}

Mind the changes in "number" and added "type". With that I get the
expected output

	Brinson, M.M. 1993. A Hydrogeomorphic Classification for Wetlands. Tech-
	nical Report WRP-DE-4. US Army Corps of Engineers, Waterways Exper-
	iment Station.

Hope that helps

Norbert

Accelia Inc. + IFMGA ProGuide + TU Wien + JAIST + TeX Live + Debian Dev