Spaces in File Names on Mac

Richard Koch richardmoncriefkoch at icloud.com
Sun Nov 10 00:25:48 CET 2019

Folks,

Yesterday I updated TeX Live 2019 to the latest stuff. This morning a Mac user wrote complaining that TeX Live could no longer process LaTeX source files with filenames containing spaces.
I tried one of my files. Sure enough.

I created a minimal document with only a few lines, and a space in the file name. It typeset fine using BasicTeX-2019, which was not recently updated. It failed to typeset on the full TeX Live -2019, which I updated yesterday. Here is the console message:

------------

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.20 (TeX Live 2019) (preloaded format=pdflatex)
 restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
(./A File.tex
LaTeX2e <2019-10-01> patch level 2
(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2019/10/25 v1.4k Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2019/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size11.clo))

./A File.tex:6: LaTeX Error: Missing \begin{document}.

Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.6 \begin{document}

The log file is empty.

Then I tried updating TeX Live again five minutes ago. There were new updates. The situation did not change.

Richard Koch
koch at uoregon.edu <mailto:koch at uoregon.edu>