\pdfmajorversion

Joseph Wright joseph.wright at morningstar2.co.uk
Fri Nov 1 07:46:31 CET 2019

On 31/10/2019 23:58, Akira Kakuto wrote:
>> Yes, one can set it there (though if you set it above 2, the PDF
>> doesn't show the value ...)
>
> I think that non-existing version numbers should not be allowed.
> If I set a non-existing version number, [x]dvipdfmx by Hirata-san resets
> it to a DEFAULT value.

For the pdfTeX patch, the concern was that such an approach leaves us
having to alter the engine every time there is a new PDF version. At
present 2.0 seems likely to be long-lived, but there is no guarantee on
this. As it is, pdfTeX already allows 1.9, which I do not beleive
exists. Tracking every PDF version seems challenging.

Joseph