[Windows][Installer] Always use own xz

Vladimir Lomov lomov.vl at yandex.ru
Wed May 22 03:39:59 CEST 2019

Hello,
** Herbert Voss [2019-05-21 08:43:33 +0200]:

> Am 21.05.19 um 07:13 schrieb Vladimir Lomov:
>> Hello, this is a bug report.
>>
>> Yesterday I tried to help to install TeX Live on a notebook of a student
>> and faced with weird behavior of install-tl-windows.bat. The notebook
>> has a broken mingw (not sure msys or msys2) installation so xz.exe from
>> it doesn't work.
>>
>> I thought that the installer on Windows always uses it's own wget.exe and
>> xz.exe but seems I was wrong. Are there any particular reasons to use
>> xz.exe and wget.exe found in PATH instead of own ones? If there are no
>> reasons then I think it is a bug and should be fixed, otherwise it might
>> give unexpected errors (I faced with that one).
>>

> you can set the environment variable
>
> TEXLIVE_PREFER_OWN=1
>
> Herbert

Thank you Herbert, I forgot about that variable, but I asked not how to
overcome the system tools (i.e. that found in PATH) on Windows, my point
was why on Windows installer prefer to use system tools instead of it's
own?

The particular case I faced I instantly figured out what is wrong, but
it was me, the student was surprised and said "it doesn't work, Ok, I'll
try something other", she even didn't understand the origin of the error
message (it was about missing liblzma.dll). I was in rush and simply
changed the PATH variable (important this is all on Windows!) and
started the installation. Unfortunately, she had to go and interrupted
the installation process. I recommended to fix the problem (she told me
that she is not the only person who uses that notebook) and try to
install TeX Live again.

I appreciate that TeX Live could use system tools on Windows but I think
TeX Live _on Windows_ must use it's own tools (wget, xz and tar) by
default and allows to use system tool when a env. variable, say
TEXLIVE_PREFER_SYSTEM_TOOLS, is set.

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
Death wish, n.:
	The only wish that always comes true, whether or not one wishes it to.