Query from Nature about TexLive for Linux

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Tue May 14 00:12:45 CEST 2019

I generally agree with Nelson and want to add just a little bit.

You can find a lot of advices which editor is the best for each SW
tool. Of course, the shortcuts, toolbars, menus differ from editor to
editor. If you do other things, not just TeX, you will soon end up
with one editor for TeX, one for perl, one for python, one for C, one
for octave, one for bash, one for PHP, one for XML, ... And you will
soon be unable to work at all. It is necessary to make a compromise,
to find an editor suitable for all tasks a user needs although it is
not necessarilly the best for any of them. Emacs is very powerfull but
can be difficult for a novice. Personally I use vim and kate and do
not use any GUI tool.

The cons is that it is not WYSIWYG. The source is typed as a text with
macros and if you do not get a template file (e.g from journal
editors), the first steps can be difficult and painful. However, I
managed to teach the basics within half an hour so that a user was
able to start writing an article for a journal published by Elsevier.
I managed to tech several users that quickly.

The pros i that it is not WYSIWYG which improves users' imagination. A
user has to think what can fix to a line, to a paragraph, to a page
which leads to better typography. On the other hand, a user can
concentrate to the contents and just type the text without being
distracted by its appearance. The appearance is tuned later after the
contents is finished. TeX is multiplatform and is made in such a way
that the same source leads to the same result across platforms. The
source files are plain texts so that they can easily be stored in a
versioning system such as git or subversion, several authors can thus
collaborate and each of them can use a different OS. It is most
probably the best typesetting engine for math. Of course, images can
also be inserted. It also supports typesetting of multilingual texts.
Better examples can most probably be found elsewhere but a small
example of a book written in Czech with names written in Hindi and
some of them also in Urdu can be found here:

http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz/bharat.php

Regards,
Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz

po 13. 5. 2019 v 20:16 odesílatel Nelson H. F. Beebe