Apple/Safari being picky about redirects for CTAN mirrors

Zdenek Wagner zdenek.wagner at gmail.com
Wed May 1 20:29:34 CEST 2019

st 1. 5. 2019 v 18:42 odesílatel Rainer Schöpf <rainer at dante.de> napsal:

> I removed ftp sites from the list of mirrors for the redirector.
>
> Safari isn't the only browser causing problems: Microsoft Edge doesn't support
> the ftp protocol; Chrome and Firefox may go the same way in the future.

The ftp protocol causes many different problems. It supports generally
two modes, active and passive. The problem is if a server implements
only the passive mode while some browsers can only use the active mode
(or vice versa). In addition, it needs two ports, one for commands,
one for data. Some firewalls cannot cope with it. It is quite common
that I cannot access ftp from firefox in Linux but the command-line
ftp client works. Mounting by curlftpfs works too.

>   Rainer

Zdeněk Wagner
http://icebearsoft.euweb.cz